Generating Momentum Toward Peace: The Banning of Landmines
High School 2007/2008 School Year
As of February 2007, there are 153 member states of the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction, and a further two signatory countries which still need to ratify the agreement. A total of 40 countries remain outside of the treaty entirely and these include China, Egypt, Finland, India, Israel, Pakistan, Russia and the United States.
Generating Momentum for our World consisted of an opening plenary followed by participatory skills workshops lasting 5 to 6 hours. Participants learned skills in a medium that can be used to educate audiences about our theme topic: The Banning of Landmines. At the end of the day, participants wrapped up by presenting newly acquired skills in the evening showcase.
There were twelve workshops in this conference. Students chose and participated in one. The workshops were facilitated by leaders in our community known for their expertise in the workshop topics.
- Paint us a picture: Creating Mural Art
- Making Music: Creating a Music CD
- Acting Out: Popular Theatre
- Say it like it is: Spoken Word
- Telling Your Story: Creating a ‘Zine (print)
- Interactive Art Installation
- Taking Action with Direct Action
- Media Relations
- Creating a Video Public Service Announcement (PSA)
- Producing a Radio Show
- Public Speaking
- Expressions through Contemporary Dance